In Romania, on the idea of Mr. Grecu Ion, the owner of a large agricultural company, the largest goat farm in Dobrogea, Romania was built at 35 km from Constanta. Established in 2004, Elcomex Agroindustrial debuted in agriculture by establishing farms for grain production, since then they have expanded to 1500 ha of arable land.
The desire to add value to grain production led in 2011 to expand the business in the livestock and the production of compound feed. On the ruins of the former cattle complex from Comuna N. Balcescu began the construction of the most ambitious integrated livestock project in Romania.
The farm currently has 3,100 goats heads of which 2600 are female goats in lactation and 7-11 months pregnant youth. The goats are Alpine and Saanen imported from France who hold certificates of origin stating that the average milk production after the 2nd lactation will be over 1000 liters.
Goat farm mission
S.C. Elcomex Agroindustrial S.A., through its actions contributes to:
• knowledge of developments in production goats in intensive system;
• goat genetic improvement;
• technological research, product development based on goat milk;
• the continuous evolution of the market for cheese and other processed milk products and goat meat;
• to make goat cheese known in Romania and abroad.
Dr. Stela Zamfirescu is an IGA board member and a Professor at the University Ovidius.